It’s going to be a good Summer NF Z-Search 17x13 has arrived.

Wow….. I only ran it for 5 minutes as I had an appointment, but wow, is this thing ever quiet for the size. Rohan, you did it again my friend…..

Hi @Jonathan Porter I noticed you registered, thank you for joining the forum... any tips on using this new masterpiece on the 7 or similar to using the 19" GPZ?

PS: Have a somber yet enjoyable Anzacs day everyone... hopefully you spend it doing something you enjoy.

Hi Jennifer, the NF Zsearch 17x13 is, in my view, a very good ground coverage prospecting coil, it has similar sensitivity to the GPZ14 (actually a touch better on smaller pieces) and has a fair bit more depth over the standard coil but it only weighs as much as the standard coil which is a boon in wide open places like WA etc. It is also shaped to be able to get the nose of the coil in and under brush etc, you can see the yoke mounting point is pushed back from the centre to allow for this.

I use almost the same settings as the Zsearch12, Audio Smoothing OFF, Ground Balance on Semi Auto (Ferrite balance the same as you would the other coils and always when you do a coil change because all coils are slightly different), if using Difficult I tend to use 12 on the sensitivity as my go to, but this should be set relative to the ground you are working and the timings used.

The only thing I need to point out is it IS a LARGER coil and as such there will be a bit more EMI and there can be a fair bit more Conductive ground signals. That’s just the nature of having a larger coil on the machine and applies to all PIs.

Have fun and thanks for the welcome.
JP

Hi Jennifer, the NF Zsearch 17x13 is, in my view, a very good ground coverage prospecting coil, it has similar sensitivity to the GPZ14 (actually a touch better on smaller pieces) and has a fair bit more depth over the standard coil but it only weighs as much as the standard coil which is a boon in wide open places like WA etc. It is also shaped to be able to get the nose of the coil in and under brush etc, you can see the yoke mounting point is pushed back from the centre to allow for this.

I use almost the same settings as the Zsearch12, Audio Smoothing OFF, Ground Balance on Semi Auto (Ferrite balance the same as you would the other coils and always when you do a coil change because all coils are slightly different), if using Difficult I tend to use 12 on the sensitivity as my go to, but this should be set relative to the ground you are working and the timings used.

The only thing I need to point out is it IS a LARGER coil and as such there will be a bit more EMI and there can be a fair bit more Conductive ground signals. That’s just the nature of having a larger coil on the machine and applies to all PIs.

Have fun and thanks for the welcome.
JP
Excellent info, thank you JP… I love the big Minelab 19 coil, but you unknowingly hit on one of the main reasons I picked this coil up, the shape. As you’ve seen in other posts I’ve made, my success has always been around swinging the Nugget Finder elliptical coils like the Evos because of the tight scrub we have here… example shown in this thread LINK HERE. Theres no way I could swing the big 19 round in the area shown in that link….

Thanks for the great tips, the reminder about the noise, we’re fortunate here to be able to not often have to run in difficult so a little noise is tolerable.

PS: I haven’t run Audio Smoothing since someone I know said a long time ago (and demonstrated) how much sensitivity we lose (video below for those unfamiliar)… oh wait, it was you! 😉 “That shoulda been 10 ounces!!!” LOL

Thank you again for the info and for joining.

Jen

Last edited:
Back